Do you suffer from TMJ problems? You aren’t alone – an estimated 10 million Americans are affected by symptoms emanating from jaw joints. Many people do not seek treatment. They have been told that their only options are powerful pain killers or surgery. Dr. Shrenna Clifton in Newnan helps patients find relief from TMJ disorders, with dental treatment and gentle therapies.
Maybe you suspect a TMJ problem, but you aren’t sure. Common symptoms are:
- Tenderness in the jaw
- Reduced mobility
- Mouth locks
- Jaw makes clicking, grinding sounds
- Difficulty chewing
- Facial pain
- Pain in and around the ears
- Ringing ears
- Stiffness in neck and shoulders
- Headaches and migraines
- Bruxism (nighttime clenching and grinding)
Temporomandibular joint dysfunction has a dramatic impact on quality of life. Dr. Clifton takes as much time as necessary to understand symptoms and make an accurate diagnosis. If a determination of TMJ is made, she explains treatment options beginning with the most conservative approach, and progressing until you find relief.
Your individualized treatment plan may include:
- Stress reduction – TMJ commonly flares up during periods of stress. Meditation, yoga, or massage can help.
- Custom-fit mouth guard – Adjusts bite to reduce strain on the jaw, and minimize potential damage to teeth and bones from bruxism.
- Realignment – This method changes the shape of teeth to eliminate or greatly reduce bite misalignment. (As an added benefit, it can also improve smile aesthetics!) Dr. Clifton assesses how teeth and jaws come together, and makes modifications to existing restorations and possibly natural tooth structure. The procedure is not painful. It typically involves crown recontouring, application of bonding materials, fillings, and crowns.
- As a final alternative – Muscle relaxant medications.
Take control of jaw pain instead of letting it control your life. Call Smiles Cosmetic & Family Dentistry at (770) 637-7428 for effective TMJ treatment.